Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF)

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Action Alert: Write to Congress re India / US Agreement on Nuclear Technology

The following information was sent by Jody Dodd, US WILPF's Leadership and Outreach Coordinator.
---------------
Dear WILPF Members and Friends,
I urge you to contact your representatives regarding Bush's efforts to provide India with nuclear technology. As many of you know, Nuclear Non-Proliferation is one of WILPF's major efforts over many years. This decision by Bush poses grave/imminent danger to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and to all of our efforts over the years toward nuclear disarmament. Pat Birnie, Carol Urner and I will be traveling to Geneva next week for a summit on Fissile Materials Ban. This action also jeopardizes these efforts. Below is a letter I dashed off to my Senators. I encourage you to do the same TODAY.
Thanks for all you do and we must continue the struggle for Peace, especially in these challenging and dangerous times.
Jody
****************************************
Dear Senator Spector,
I am outraged at the news that Bush has made an agreement to provide India with nuclear materials/technology! India is outside the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and therefore it is in violation of International Law, the NPT and US Law for the US to do so. This action will only further to advance global proliferation and weaken the NPT. The NPT has for over 30 years been one of the most successful international instruments in preventing nuclear proliferation. How can Bush justify providing technology to India and then criticize Iran and North Korea? I urge you to challenge this decision and expect you as my Senator, especially as chair of the Judiciary Committee, to ensure that this administration is in compliance with the Laws and Treaties to which we are signatories. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Your most troubled constituent,
Jody Dodd
*************************************

2 Comments:

  • Thank you, Jody, for your leadership on this issue. I am grateful that you brought it to my attention, since I've been working on other issues and needed to be reminded that it's important to speak to our senators on the matter. I published my letters to my senators on my current affairs blog - chickenfootstew.com.

    I also look forward to hearing from our sister WILPFers when they get a response from their Senators.

    By Blogger C.J. Minster, at 8:43 PM  

  • I'm glad to some across Jody's letter on the India/Nuke deal here, but I have not been able to find anywhere the WILPF statement on this that I thought had been issued. Was it? Where is it? International WILPF is also working on a statement (joint from US and India Sections plus international) and it would help to see what we ended up with as U.S. WILPF. in peace, Carol Urner, US WILPF DISARM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home