Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF)

Thursday, January 07, 2010

International Board Meeting, Gandhi University

It's hard to know whether to try to describe everything that's already happened at the meeting or get back to the proceedings. I'm at an internet cafe across the street and I'm sure I've missed some important events by taking this time to report back to the US Section.

We've been represented by five people: Laura Roskos, our co-president is the alternate IB member since Audley Green could not attend. Nancy Munger, our other co-president is also here. Nancy Ramsden, our international treasurer is here, as is Joan Bazar, the editor of International Peace Update. I'm here as the convener of the Communications Committee.

I co-lead a workshop on Tuesday and had a successful committee meeting yesterday. I'm also trying to write the story of this meeting on my laptop and plan to post more detailed updates once I get back to the States on Saturday.

I am so grateful for this opportunity to represent WILPF US and am so excited about our future. Thank goodness we exist and thank goodness we're growing towards our 100th anniversary. Yesterday, Amparo gave an exciting presentation on the emerging Mexico Section. We also had an Americas regional meeting, and Sandra gave a great talk on what's happening in Colombia. So much is happening and I wish you could all be here. I also wish we could stream video from our meetings, though that might be tricky since several people do not want to be on film. I think we need discussion about this because to me, it's important to utilize all available forms of communication to spread our events to members who are unable to attend.

6 Comments:

  • CJ: Great to get some news! Im eagerly awaiting the full report (editing note; only one 'h' in Gandhi, at the end).

    By Blogger Robin Lloyd, at 8:22 AM  

  • Thank you for such a positive message. I can't wait to hear more!

    By Anonymous Sandy Silver, at 8:42 AM  

  • Hi C.J.! Thanks so much for these notes. It's great to get even the tiniest taste of what it's like to be there, and like Robin & Sandy, I can't wait to hear more!! P.S. I don't know who the Swedish reporter is who wrote up notes that were translated and distributed on the WILPF news list by "the Secretariat" -- do you? I'd love to thank her as well. They were wonderful too. It does those of us who can't be there a world of good to get these injections of inspiration from where the action is. Happy Masala!

    By Blogger Anjie, at 1:18 PM  

  • Hi C.J. Thanks for making the time to give us an update. Absorb like a sponge and later blog like the wind!

    By Blogger Tura, at 4:47 PM  

  • Thank you CJ for your work and effort of communications much appreciated. Please give us more details as you have time and are not too tired.
    I would have love to be there, my father passed away last night as I got home after being there 2 weeks and seeing him 2 days ago last time. I may have to go back.

    By Blogger Odile Hugonot Haber, at 4:02 AM  

  • CJ - Thanks for writing from India. Great to get some news. - Theta

    By Blogger Theta, at 7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home