Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF)

Saturday, September 24, 2005

WILPFers in DC Streets and Elsewhere

I look forward to the reports, especially the photographs, taken by my sister WILPFers who are currently in Washington, DC. I live in Chicago and could not afford to be in DC (and am actually under the weather this weekend). So, I'm monitoring events as I can. I've got to say that television, radio, and internet coverage is not that good. It took me a long time to find C-SPAN on my tv, which is showing the speeches still going on (to a now non-existent crowd) at The Ellipse in DC. Apparently, there are at least 20 blocks of marchers in the streets. I cannot see that, since C-SPAN cannot afford to take a camera out into the streets. I can't find live pictures on an IndyMedia site. The closest I've been able to find is the live stream from KPFK, a Pacifica radio station in my hometown, Los Angeles. But they too aren't actually covering the march. And they cut off unfamous speakers earlier today from DC. I know it's not exciting to most people to watch a march, but I want to see how many people are in DC.

I look forward to the day when WILPF speakers are prominent at national rallies and when we have a strong, grassroots media that can provide live coverage of progressive events. I also look forward to the day when our Raging Grannies are not just recognized, but also recognized as WILPF members. As we help grow the larger movement for justice and peace, let us come together to increase WILPF's membership and prominence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home